[openstack-dev] [all] Organizing a Gate Blocking Bug Fix Day

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jan 9 12:46:35 UTC 2014

I think we are all agreed that the current state of Gate Resets isn't
good. Unfortunately some basic functionality is really not working
reliably, like being able to boot a guest to a point where you can ssh
into it.

These are common bugs, but they aren't easy ones. We've had a few folks
digging deep on these, but we, as a community, are not keeping up with them.

So I'd like to propose Gate Blocking Bug Fix day, to be Monday Jan 20th.
On that day I'd ask all core reviewers (and anyone else) on all projects
to set aside that day to *only* work on gate blocking bugs. We'd like to
quiet the queues to not include any other changes that day so that only
fixes related to gate blocking bugs would be in the system.

This will have multiple goals:
  #1 - fix some of the top issues
  #2 - ensure we classify (ER fingerprint) and register everything we're
seeing in the gate fails
  #3 - ensure all gate bugs are triaged appropriately

I'm hopefully that if we can get everyone looking at this one a single
day, we can start to dislodge the log jam that exists.

Specifically I'd like to get commitments from as many PTLs as possible
that they'll both directly participate in the day, as well as encourage
the rest of their project to do the same.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America