[openstack-dev] [Savanna] Spark plugin status

Sergey Lukjanov slukjanov at mirantis.com
Thu Jan 9 08:41:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm really glad to here that!

Answers inlined.

Thanks.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Daniele Venzano <Daniele.Venzano at eurecom.fr
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we are finishing up the development of the Spark plugin for Savanna.
> In the next few days we will deploy it on an OpenStack cluster with real
> users to iron out the last few things. Hopefully next week we will put the
> code on a public github repository in beta status.

[SL] Awesome! Could you, please, share some info this installation if
possible? like OpenStack cluster version and size, Savanna version,
expected Spark cluster sizes and lifecycle, etc.

> You can find the blueprint here:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/savanna/+spec/spark-plugin
>
> There are two things we need to release, the VM image and the code itself.
> For the image we created one ourselves and for the code we used the
> Vanilla plugin as a base.

[SL] You can use diskimage-builder [0] to prepare such images, we're
already using it for building images for vanilla plugin [1].

> We feel that our work could be interesting for others and we would like to
> see it integrated in Savanna. What is the best way to proceed?

[SL] Absolutely, it's a very interesting tool for data processing. IMO the
best way is to create a change request to savanna for code review and
discussion in gerrit, it'll be really the most effective way to
collaborate. As for the best way of integration with Savanna - we're
expecting to see it in the openstack/savanna repo like vanilla, HDP and IDH
(which will be landed soon) plugins.

> We did not follow the Gerrit workflow until now because development
> happened internally.
> I will prepare the repo on github with git-review and reference the
> blueprint in the commit. After that, do you prefer that I send immediately
> the code for review or should I send a link here on the mailing list first
> for some feedback/discussion?

[SL] It'll be better to immediately send the code for review.

> Thank you,
> Daniele Venzano, Hoang Do and Vo Thanh Phuc

[0] https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder
[1] https://github.com/openstack/savanna-image-elements

Please, feel free to ping me if some help needed with gerrit or savanna
internals stuff.

Thanks.

--
Sincerely yours,