[openstack-dev] [Nova][Vmware]Bad Performance when creating a new VM

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Jan 8 17:09:29 UTC 2014

On 01/07/2014 06:30 PM, Ray Sun wrote:
> Stackers,
> I tried to create a new VM using the driver VMwareVCDriver, but I found
> it's very slow when I try to create a new VM, for example, 7GB Windows
> Image spent 3 hours.
>
> Then I tried to use curl to upload a iso to vcenter directly.
>
> curl -H "Expect:" -v --insecure --upload-file
> windows2012_server_cn_x64.iso
> "https://administrator:root123.@200.21.0.99/folder/iso/windows2012_server_cn_x64.iso?dcPath=dataCenter&dsName=datastore2"
>
> The average speed is 0.8 MB/s.
>
> Finally, I tried to use vSpere web client to upload it, it's only 250 KB/s.
>
> I am not sure if there any special configurations for web interface for
> vcenter. Please help.

I'm not fully versed in the plumbing, but while you are pushing via curl
to 200.21.0.99 you might check the netstat statistics at the sending
side, say once a minute, and see what the TCP retransmission rate
happens to be.  If 200.21.0.99 has to push the bits to somewhere else
you should follow that trail back to the point of origin, checking
statistics on each node as you go.

You could, additionally, try running the likes of netperf (or iperf, but
I have a natural inclination to suggest netperf...) between the same
pairs of systems.  If netperf gets significantly better performance then
you (probably) have an issue at the application layer rather than in the
networking.

Depending on how things go with those, it may be desirable to get a
packet trace of the upload via the likes of tcpdump.  It will be very
much desirable to start the packet trace before the upload so you can
capture the TCP connection establishment packets (aka the TCP
SYNchronize segments) as those contain some important pieces of
information about the capabilities of the connection.

rick jones