[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jan 8 17:03:55 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Jay Dobies's message of 2014-01-08 08:09:51 -0800:
> There were so many places in this thread that I wanted to jump in on as
> I caught up, it makes sense to just summarize things in once place
> instead of a half dozen quoted replies.
>
> I agree with the sentiments about flexibility. Regardless of my personal
> preference on source v. packages, it's been my experience that the
> general mindset of production deployment is that new ideas move slowly.
> Admins are set in their ways and policies are in place on how things are
> consumed.
>
> Maybe the newness of all things cloud-related and image-based management
> for scale is a good time to shift the mentality out of packages (again,
> I'm not suggesting whether or not it should be shifted). But I worry
> about adoption if we don't provide an option for people to use blessed
> distro packages, either because of company policy or years of habit and
> bias. If done correctly, there's no difference between a package and a
> particular tag in a source repository, but there is a psychological
> component there that I think we need to account for, assuming someone is
> willing to bite off the implementation costs (which is sounds like there
> is).

Thanks for your thoughts Jay. I agree, what we're doing is kind of weird
sounding. Not everybody will be on-board with their OpenStack cloud being
wildly different from their existing systems. We definitely need to do
work to make it easy for them to get on the new train of thinking one
step at a time. Just having an OpenStack cloud will do a lot for any
org that has none.