[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Dynamic Meters in Ceilometer

Kodam, Vijayakumar (EXT-Tata Consultancy Ser - FI/Espoo) vijayakumar.kodam.ext at nsn.com
Wed Jan 8 15:43:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thanks!

>As Tim Bell suggested, API-based enabling/disabling would allow users to update meters via script, but then there's the question of how to work out the global vs. per-project tenant settings...right now >we collect specified meters for all available projects, and the API returns whatever data is stored minus filtered values. Maybe I'm missing something in the suggestion, but turning off collection for >an individual project seems like it'd require some deep changes.
>
>Vijay, I'll repeat dhellmann's request: do you have more detail in another doc? :-)
>
>-	Phil

I concur with the opinion to use APIs for dynamically enabling/disabling meters. I have updated the design accordingly.

According to the latest update:
User calls the API(1) to disable a meter along with a meter id.
Ceilometer-api handles the api request, adds the meter id to disabled_meters config file and informs ceilometer agents.
Ceilometer agents will read the "disabled_meters" config file and disables the meter.

More detailed information about this blueprint can be found at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/dynamic-meters

There will be no inotify() or inotifywait() calls to monitor the modifications of the configuration file.
Whenever the APIs are called, ceilometer-api upon receiving the request, will modify the config file and informs the ceilometer agents.

There are no per-project settings currently considered for this blueprint.
IMHO, per-project settings should be implemented for all the meters/resources/APIs in ceilometer and should be handled by a different blueprint.

Regards,
VijayKumar