[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 15:03:39 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On 8 January 2014 12:18, James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure, the crux of the problem was likely that versions in the distro
>> were too old and they needed to be updated.  But unless we take on
>> building the whole OS from source/git/whatever every time, we're
>> always going to have that issue.  So, an additional benefit of
>> packages is that you can install a known good version of an OpenStack
>> component that is known to work with the versions of dependent
>> software you already have installed.
>
> The problem is that OpenStack is building against newer stuff than is
> in distros, so folk building on a packaging toolchain are going to
> often be in catchup mode - I think we need to anticipate package based
> environments running against releases rather than CD.

I just don't see anyone not building on a packaging toolchain, given
that we're all running the distro of our choice and pip/virtualenv/etc
are installed from distro packages.  Trying to isolate the building of
components with pip installed virtualenvs was still a problem.  Short
of uninstalling the build tools packages from the cloud image and then
wget'ing the pip tarball, I don't think there would have been a good
way around this particular problem.  Which, that approach may
certainly make some sense for a CD scenario.

Agreed that packages against releases makes sense.

--
-- James Slagle