[openstack-dev] Novnc switch to sockjs-client instead of websockify

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jan 8 12:58:15 UTC 2014

> On Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 02:33:09PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if it would be possible for NoVNC to switch from
>> websockify to sockjs-client, which is available here:
>>
>> https://github.com/sockjs/sockjs-client
>>
>> This has the advantage of not using flash at all (pure javascript), and
>> continuing to work on all browsers, with a much cleaner licensing.
>
> What is the problem with licensing of websockify ?
>
> Daniel

First you have:
include/web-socket-js/WebSocketMain.swf

which isn't built from source in the package (so it's removed from the
Debian package, making a +dfsg1 package), then there's lots of
"minified" javascript, like:
include/web-socket-js/swfobject.js

Because WebSocketMain.swf is removed, this makes it a bit useless to use
this project (as it will not carry the compatibility layer for the older
browsers).

sockjs-client doesn't have all of these problems, and is javascript
only, which seems a lot cleaner (requiring flash... hum... do I have to
explain why that's bad? :) ).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)