[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jan 8 04:20:14 UTC 2014

On 8 January 2014 12:18, James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm reminded of when I first started looking at TripleO there were a
> few issues with installing from git (I'll say that from now on :)
> related to all the python distribute -> setuptools migration.  Things
> like if you're base cloud image had the wrong version of pip you
> couldn't migrate to setuptools cleanly.  Then you had to run the
> setuptools update twice, once to get the distribute legacy wrapper and
> then again to latest setuptools.  If I recall there were other
> problems with virtualenv incompatibilities as well.
>
> Arguably, installing from packages would have made that easier and less complex.

We should have that argument with a beverage and plenty of time ;).
Certainly it was an automated fail - but automation detected the
issues, and *if* we were in the gate, the changes that were done in
OpenStack to trigger [most] of those issues would not have landed at
all.

> Sure, the crux of the problem was likely that versions in the distro
> were too old and they needed to be updated.  But unless we take on
> building the whole OS from source/git/whatever every time, we're
> always going to have that issue.  So, an additional benefit of
> packages is that you can install a known good version of an OpenStack
> component that is known to work with the versions of dependent
> software you already have installed.

The problem is that OpenStack is building against newer stuff than is
in distros, so folk building on a packaging toolchain are going to
often be in catchup mode - I think we need to anticipate package based
environments running against releases rather than CD.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist