[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Jan 8 00:27:35 UTC 2014

Another piece to the conversation I think is update philosophy. If you are always going to require a new image and no customization after build ever, ever, the messiness that source usually cause in the file system image really doesn't matter. The package system allows you to easily update, add, and remove packages bits at runtime cleanly. In our experimenting with OpenStack, its becoming hard to determine which philosophy is better. Golden Images for some things make a lot of sense. For other random services, the maintenance of the Golden Image seems to be too much to bother with and just installing a few packages after image start is preferable. I think both approaches are valuable. This may not directly relate to what is best for Triple-O elements, but since we are talking philosophy anyway...

Again though, I think if you wish to make the argument that packages are undesirable, then ALL packages are probably undesirable for the same reasons. Right? Why not make elements for all dependencies, instead of using distro packages to get you 90% of the way there and then using source just for OpenStack bits. If you always want the newest, latest greatest Neutron, don't you want the newest VSwitch too? I'd argue though there is a point of diminishing returns with source that packages fill. Then the argument is where is the point. Some folks think the point is all the way over to "just use packages for everything".

I still think using distro packages buys you a lot, even if you are just using them to create a static golden image.

Thanks,
Kevin