[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Jan 8 00:22:37 UTC 2014

Hi

> On 7 Jan 2014, at 23:04, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>
> My question still stands, what are the real advantages? So far the only
> one that matters to me is "makes it easier for people to think about
> using it."

If I were to put on my former sysadmin hat, I would always strongly prefer to use packages for things, so I have the weight of the distro vendor behind me (particularly if I only have a few hundred servers and want a 6 month upgrade cadence with easy access to security fixes between upgrades).

I'm not necessarily advocating for or against tripleo supporting packages as a source of openstack, but I do think it is likely that some/many users will have their reasons for wanting to leverage our tools without following all of our preferred processes.

What I am advocating though, is that if there is a need and someone gives us a patch that satisfies it without hurting our preferred processes, we look favourably on it. I would rather have users on the road to doing things our way, than be immediately turned away or forced into dramatically forking us.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones