[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Installing from packages in tripleo-image-elements

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Jan 7 23:04:48 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Chris Jones's message of 2014-01-07 14:43:31 -0800:
> Hi
>
> > On 7 Jan 2014, at 22:18, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
> > Packages do the opposite,
> > and encourage entropy by promising to try and update software
>
> Building with packages doesn't require updating running systems with packages and more than building with git requires updating running systems with git pull.
> One can simply build (and test!) a new image with updated packages and rebuild/takeover nodes.

Indeed, however one can _more_ simply build an image without package
tooling...  and they will be more similar across multiple platforms.

My question still stands, what are the real advantages? So far the only
one that matters to me is "makes it easier for people to think about
using it."