[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Sharing the load test result

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 19:46:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 00:14 +0000, Deok-June Yi wrote:
> Hi, Ceilometer team.
>
> I'm writing to share my load test result and ask you for advice about
> Ceilometer.
>
> Before starting, for whom doesn’t know Synaps [1], Synaps is
> 'monitoring as a service' project that provides AWS CloudWatch
> compatible API. It was discussed to be merged with Ceilometer project
> at Grizzly design phase, but Synaps developers could not join the
> project for it at that time. And now Ceilometer has its own alarming
> feature.
>
> A few days ago, I installed Ceilometer and Synaps on my test
> environment and ran load test for over 2 days to evaluate their
> alarming feature in the aspect of real-time requirement. Here I attached
> test environment diagram and test result. The load model was as below.
> 1.  Create 5,000 alarms
> 2.  [Every 1 minute] Create 5,000 samples
>
> As a result, alarm evaluation time of Ceilometer was not predictable,
> whereas Synaps evaluated all alarms within 2 seconds every minute.
>
> This comes from two different design decisions for alarm evaluation
> between Ceilometer and Synaps. Synaps does not read database but read
> in-memory and in-stream data for alarming while Ceilometer involves
> database read operations with REST API call.

So you are saying that the Synaps server is storing 14,400,000 samples
in memory (2 days of 5000 samples per minute)? Or are you saying that
Synaps is storing just the 5000 alarm records in memory and then
processing (determining if the alarm condition was met) the samples as
they pass through to a backend data store? I think it is the latter but
I just want to make sure :)

Best,
-jay