[openstack-dev] [heat] Sofware Config progress

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Tue Jan 7 00:47:06 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 06:25, Susaant Kondapaneni wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I am trying to understand the software config implementation. Can you
> clarify the following:
>
> i. To use Software config and deploy in a template, instance resource
> MUST always be accompanied by user_data. User_data should specify how
> to bootstrap CM tool and signal it. Is that correct?

Yes, currently the user_data contains cfn-init formatted metadata which
tells os-collect-config how to poll for config changes. What happens
when new config is fetched depends on the os-apply-config templates and
os-refresh-config scripts which are already on that image (or set up
with cloud-init).
> ii. Supposing we were to use images which do not have cloud-init
> packaged in them, (and a custom CM tool that won't require
> bootstrapping on the instance itself), can we still use software
> config and deploy resources to deploy software on such instances?

Currently os-collect-config is more of a requirement than cloud-init,
but as Clint said cloud-init does a good job of boot config so you'll
need to elaborate on why you don't want to use it.
> iii. If ii. were possible who would signal the deployment resource to
> indicate that the instance is ready for the deployment?
os-collect-config polls for the deployment data, and triggers the
resulting deployment/config changes. One day this may be performed by a
different agent like the unified agent that has been discussed.
Currently os-collect-collect polls via a heat-api-cfn metadata call.
This too may be done in any number of ways in the future such as
messaging or long-polling.

So you *could* consume the supplied user_data to know what to poll for
subsequent config changes without cloud-init or os-collect-config, but
you would have to describe what you're doing in detail for us to know if
that sounds like a good idea.