[openstack-dev] [Neutron][qa] Parallel testing update

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Jan 6 16:04:47 UTC 2014

I have already discussed the matter with Jay on IRC, even if for a
different issue.
In this specific case 'batching' will have the benefit of reducing the
rootwrap overhead.

However, it seems the benefit from batching is not resolutive. I admit I
have not run tests in the gate with batching; I've just tested in an
environment without significant load, obtaining a performance increase of
less than 10%.

>From what I gathered even if commands are 'batched' to ovs-vsctl,
operations are still individually performed on the kernel module. I did not
investigate whether the cli commands sends a single or multiple commands on
the ovsdb interface.
Nevertheless, another thing to note is that it's not just ovs-vsctl that
becomes very slow, but also, and more often than that, ovs-ofctl, for which
there is no batching.

Summarising, I'm not opposed to batching for ovs-vsctl, and I would
definitely welcome it; I just don't think it will be the ultimate solution.

Salvatore