[openstack-dev] why do we use pip -U in tox.ini?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Jan 5 17:26:05 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-05 12:17:41 -0500 (-0500), Sean Dague wrote:
> Well that's really unfortunate.
>
> So if I understand that correctly there is *no* way to configure tox
> + pip to:
>
>  * use site packages if they are sufficient to requirements.txt
>  * install packages into venv if they are not (i.e. only use it if
> you have to)
>
> Because that's what I want. And it doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

I think we ran into that issue circa pip 1.3 (though my sense of
time is really, really horrible, so not sure). It's entirely
possible this is no longer an issue and we should certainly
reevaluate.

We also want to get to a place where we no longer depend on
sitepackages=True in the tox.ini, and the MySQL-python package seems
very close now to no longer needing it (but this gets us back to
needing to solve the newer libvirt issues with Ubuntu Cloud Archive
again--hopefully someone will figure out what's wrong there soon so
we can actually start using UCA to get the bits we need for newer
PyPIfied MySQL-python to work for us).
--
Jeremy Stanley