[openstack-dev] why do we use pip -U in tox.ini?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Jan 5 16:25:05 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-05 10:47:22 -0500 (-0500), Sean Dague wrote:
[...]
> It seems like requirements should be sufficient. Forcing -U to the
> latest all the time seems like it would actually mask a ton of
> problems, and makes sitepackages = True to be largely useless.
[...]

In fact, I believe it was mostly for the benefit of
sitepackages=True that we started adding it. If my recollection is
correct, faced with a requirement of foo>=3 and a system install of
foo==2 pip under tox would refuse to upgrade to meet the stated
requirement and would instead just use the (non-conforming) version
from the system (system-wide installs of old Jinja on CentOS 6 seems
like where nova ran into this).
--
Jeremy Stanley