[openstack-dev] why do we use pip -U in tox.ini?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sun Jan 5 15:47:22 UTC 2014

While waiting some inordinate amount of time to compile lxml for a
tempest pep8 test, I started to wonder why is it that we are using -U on
all our pip install commands in tox (it's a pretty common pattern across
projects).

It seems like requirements should be sufficient. Forcing -U to the
latest all the time seems like it would actually mask a ton of problems,
and makes sitepackages = True to be largely useless.

I'm sure it went in for a reason, so I'd love to understand the reason,
to make sure that my instinct in disabling it in Tempest doesn't have a
ton of side effects.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague