[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev] IDE extensions in .gitignore

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun Jan 5 15:40:52 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Rushi Agrawal's message of 2014-01-05 05:41:58 -0800:
> I can see people arguing in future over which top IDE's/editor's trashfiles
> should or shouldn't be included in the gitignores. Also, I believe the
> concept of global gitignore is a fantastic one.

Has it ever actually happened? Looks a little like a straw man to me.

> What I'll suggest is, just not include any of the editor/IDE files in
> project gitignores, AND mention how to set global gitignores for these
> trashfiles in the wiki page where we give details of Gerrit/Jenkins/Git
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GerritWorkflow
> or
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GerritJenkinsGithub
> to aid a novice.

I think leaving them in is perfectly o-k. Contributors who use different
editors and get annoyed that their files aren't ignored will just submit
a patch. This patch will take almost zero cognitive load from reviewers.

We have Oslo for algorithms, not configurations. We have global
requirements to control external _dependencies_. This is about neither.
Leave them in, add them when people submit them. How is this at all hard
or controversial to just let this keep working the way it works now?