[openstack-dev] [nova] Turbo-hipster

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Thu Jan 2 22:24:07 UTC 2014

Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> writes:

> Heh, I didn't know that wiki page existed. I've added an entry to the checklist.
>
> There's also some talk of adding some help text to the vote message
> turbo-hipster leaves in gerrit, but we haven't gotten around to doing
> that yet.

I would rather not mention it on that page, which is the documentation
for the project gating system and developer workflow (Zuul links to it
when it leaves a failure message) so I have removed it.

I _do_ think adding help text to the messages third-party tools leave,
and/or linking to specific documentation (ideally also in the OpenStack
wiki) from there is a good idea.

However, there are _a lot_ of third-party test systems coming on-line,
and I'm not sure that expanding the "recheck language" to support ever
more complexity is a good idea.  I can see how being able to say
"recheck foo" would be useful in some circumstances, but given that just
saying "recheck" will suffice, I'd prefer that we kept the general
recommendation simple so developers can worry about something else.

Certainly at a minimum, "recheck" should recheck all the systems; that's
one of the proposed requirements here:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/63478/5/doc/source/third_party.rst

I think it would be best if we stopped there.  But if you still feel
very strongly that you want a private extension to the syntax, please
consider how necessary it is for most developers to know about it when
you decide how prominently to feature it in messages or documentation
about your tools.

-Jim