[openstack-dev] [nova] minimum review period for functional changes that break backwards compatibility

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Jan 2 20:46:51 UTC 2014

On 3 January 2014 00:53, Day, Phil <philip.day at hp.com> wrote:
> Hi Thierry,
>
> Thanks for a great summary.
>
> I don't really share your view that there is a "us vs them" attitude emerging between operators and developers (but as someone with a foot in  both camps maybe I'm just thinking that because otherwise I'd become even more bi-polar :-)
>
> I would suggest though that the criteria for core reviewers is maybe more slanted towards developers that operators, and that it would be worth considering if there is some way to recognised and incorporate the different perspective that operators can provide into the review process.

Perhaps they can start doing reviews?

One could argue that a specific venue is needed for them to review
effectively, as looking at each individual commit being proposed might
not be efficient for folk looking at conceptual review - but thats at
best a hypothesis. If ops focused folk spent an hour a day reviewing
upcoming changes I'm fairly certain they would both be listened to and
eventually earn core wings.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>