[openstack-dev] [Neutron][Testr] Brand new checkout of Neutron... getting insane unit test run results

Clark Boylan clark.boylan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 03:56:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM, 黎林果 <lilinguo8212 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have met this problem too.The units can't be run.
> The end info as:
>
> Ran 0 tests in 0.673s
>
> OK
> cp: cannot stat `.testrepository/-1': No such file or directory
>
> 2013/12/28 Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com>:
>> On 12/27/2013 11:11 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm really sorry about the horrid UI - we're in the middle of fixing
>>> the plumbing to report this and support things like tempest better -
>>> from the bottom up. The subunit listing -> testr reporting of listing
>>> errors is fixed on the subunit side, but not on the the testr side
>>> yet.
>>>
>>> If you look at the end of the error:
>>>
>>> \rimport
>>> errors4neutron.tests.unit.linuxbridge.test_lb_neutron_agent\x85\xc5\x1a\\',
>>> stderr=None
>>> error: testr failed (3)
>>>
>>> You can see this^
>>>
>>> which translates as
>>> import errors
>>> neutron.tests.unit.linuxbridge.test_lb_neutron_agent
>>>
>>> so
>>>
>>> neutron/tests/unit/linuxbridge/test_lb_neutron_agent.py
>>>
>>> is failing to import.
>>

>> Phew, thanks Rob! I was a bit stumped there :) I have identified the import
>> issue (this is on a fresh checkout of Neutron, BTW, so I'm a little confused
>> how this made it through the gate...
>>
>> (.venv)jpipes at uberbox:~/repos/openstack/neutron$ python
>> Python 2.7.4 (default, Sep 26 2013, 03:20:26)
>> [GCC 4.7.3] on linux2
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>>   File "neutron/tests/unit/linuxbridge/test_lb_neutron_agent.py", line 29,
>> in <module>
>>     from neutron.plugins.linuxbridge.agent import linuxbridge_neutron_agent
>>   File "neutron/plugins/linuxbridge/agent/linuxbridge_neutron_agent.py",
>> line 33, in <module>
>>     import pyudev
>> ImportError: No module named pyudev
>>
>> Looks like pyudev needs to be added to requirements.txt... I've filed a bug:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1264687
>>
>> with a patch here:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64333/
>>
>> Thanks again, much appreciated!
>> -jay

It looks like the problem is that there is a dependency on pyudev
which only works properly on Linux. The neutron setup_hook does
properly install pyudev on Linux (explains why the tests run in the
gate), but would not work properly on windows or OS X. I assume folks
are trying to run the tests on not Linux? Neutron may want to do
something similar to what Nova does when libvirt is not importable,
https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/tests/virt/libvirt/test_libvirt.py#n77
and use a fake in order to get the tests to run properly anyways.

Clark