[openstack-dev] [nova] minimum review period for functional changes that break backwards compatibility

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Jan 1 21:30:32 UTC 2014

> - Changes in default behaviour:   Always likely to affect existing systems in some way.   Maybe we should have an additional type of review vote that comes from people who are recognised as reperensting large production deployments ?

This is my biggest worry...  there are changes which may be technically valid but have a significant disruptive impact on those people who are running clouds. Asking the people who are running production OpenStack clouds to review every patch to understand the risks and assess the migration impact is asking a lot.

What processes are in place to ensure that a technically correct patch does not have major impact on those of us who are running large scale OpenStack clouds in production ? DocImpact tagging is not sufficient as this implies the change is the right thing to do but needs procedures defined.

Tim