[openstack-dev] [Heat] Thoughts on adding a '--progress' option?

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Feb 28 07:28:30 UTC 2014

The creation a stack is usually a time costly process, considering that
there are cases where software packages need to be installed and
configured.

There are also cases where a stack consists of more than one VM instance
and the dependency between instances.  The instances may have to be
created one by one.

Are Heat people considering adding some progress updates during the
deployment?  For example, a simple log that can be printed by heatclient
telling the user what progress has been made:

Refreshing known resources types
Receiving template <...>
Validating template <...>
Creating resource my_lb [AWS::EC2:LoadBalancer]
Creating resource lb_instance1 [AWS::EC2::Instance]
Creating resource latency_watcher [AWS::CloudWatch::Alarm]

This would be useful for users to 'debug' their templates, especially
when the template syntax is okay but its activities are not the intended
one.

Do we have to rely on heat-cfn-api to get these notifications?

Any thoughts?

  - Qiming

Research Staff Member
IBM Research - China