[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Flavor Framework

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 01:54:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 17:23 -0800, Joe Gordon wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> This isn't true, we moved towards preferring the term flavor.
> >
> > Really? When did this happen?
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/flavor-instance-type-dedup
>
> I wasn't aware of the decision to move to instance types. I could ask
> you the same thing, 'really when did that happen'

I could have sworn there was a conversation (I remember John Garbutt
specifically bringing up the problem of non-American-English spelling of
flavour) on openstack-dev, but I can't find it right now...

On your blueprint, you have:

"russellb: stick with our own terminology (flavor) except when
specifically doing EC2 handling IMO" ~ 2013-3-4

Unfortunately, nobody specified whether that was a design session, an ML
conversation or some random quote from IRC, so it's not entirely clear
where the decision came from or where the discussion was had. :)

I do note, however, that the blueprint is still going on, with the
latest Abandoned patch some time last January. I'll also note that
instance_type is used all over the documentation, is used in places like
Heat templating, and in general just makes a lot more sense. There's
also 401K results in Google for "instance_type Nova API" vs. 292K
results for "flavor Nova API". Just sayin.

Regardless of this, I still vote to *not* use the term flavor in
Neutron's API, but use the term "type" instead, and hopefully my other
points about Neutron types won't get lost in this side conversation ;)

Best,
-jay