[openstack-dev] [nova] Future of the Nova API

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Thu Feb 27 14:43:04 UTC 2014

> So I think once we start returning different response codes, or
> completely different structures (such as the tasks change will be), it
> doesn't matter if we make the change in effect by invoking /v2 prefix
> or /v3 prefix or we look for a header. Its a major api revision. I
> don't think we should pretend otherwise.

I think you're missing my point. The current /v2 and /v3 versions are
about 10,000 revisions apart. I'm saying we have the client declare
support for a new version every time we need to add something new, not
to say that they support what we currently have as /v3. So it would be
something like:

 version=v2: Current thing
 version=v3: added simple task return for server create
 version=v4: added the event extension
 version=v5: added a new event for cinder to the event extension
 version=v6: changed 200 to 202 for three volumes calls
 ...etc

Obviously using a header instead of a url doesn't help if the gap
between v2 and v3 is what it is today.

--Dan