[openstack-dev] heads up, set -o errexit on devstack - things will fail earlier now

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Feb 27 13:38:22 UTC 2014

This patch is coming through the gate this morning -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/71996/

The point being to actually make devstack stop when it hits an error,
instead of only once these compound to the point where there is no
moving forward and some service call fails. This should *dramatically*
improve the experience of figuring out a failure in the gate, because
where it fails should be the issue. (It also made us figure out some
wonkiness with stdout buffering, that was making debug difficult).

This works on all the content that devstack gates against. However,
there are a ton of other paths in devstack, including vendor plugins,
which I'm sure aren't clean enough to run under -o errexit. So if all of
a sudden things start failing, this may be why. Fortunately you'll be
pointed at the exact point of the fail.

Ian got through 3 fixes for RHEL support prior to it that makes it run
clean there, so we have some confidence that's covered. Other distros
may hit issues as well.

If you have a patch to fix fallout from this, please just get on
#openstack-qa, and we'll try to get those devstack patches worked
through the system quickly.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague