[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Tuskar CLI UX

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 13:36:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:36 AM, Jiří Stránský <jistr at redhat.com> wrote:

> Thanks for bringing this up. It looks really interesting. Is it possible
> to not only add commands to the OpenStackClient, but also purposefully
> blacklist some from appearing? As Jay mentioned in his reply, we don't make
> use of many commands in the undercloud and having the others appear in
> --help is just confusing. E.g. there's a lot of commands in Nova CLI that
> we'll not use and we have no use for Cinder CLI at all.

I didn't consider removing other API's commands as a use case, it might
work but whether that is a Good Thing is TBD from our/user's point of view.

If you are trying to hide the rest of the APIs then this is not the CLI
that you seek.  OSC doesn't assume that a user has access to only one or
one type of cloud, so disabling/removing commands simply based on package
installation is not a good user experience.  Everything after that requires
authentication to get server API versions and a service catalog to know
what a specific cloud offers.

Even if we decided to build TripleO CLI separate from OpenStackClient, i
> think being able to consume this plugin API would help us. We could plug in
> the particular commands we want (and rename them if we want "node profiles"
> instead of "flavors") and hopefully not reimplement everything.

The command names themselves are easy to change as they are just the key in
the entry point key=value pair.  Everything else about them, including the
help text would be code changes.

It sounds like you may be wanting something parallel to OSC, ie, a
Tuskar-specific rebranding of it with a overlapping-but-different command
set.

dt

--

Dean Troyer