[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Tuskar CLI UX

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 12:25:09 UTC 2014

On 27.2.2014 10:16, Dougal Matthews wrote:
> On 26/02/14 13:34, Jiří Stránský wrote:
>> get Tuskar UI a bit closer back to the fact
>> that Undercloud is OpenStack too, and keep the name "Flavors" instead of
>> changing it to "Node Profiles". I wonder if that would be unwelcome to
>> the Tuskar UI UX, though.
>
> I can imagine we would constantly explain it by saying its the same as
> flavors because people will be familiar with this. So maybe being
> consistent would help.

Yeah. This is a double bladed axe but i'm leaning towards naming flavors
consistently a bit more too. Here's an attempt at +/- summary:

"node profile"

+ a bit more descriptive for a newcomer imho

- CLI renaming/reimplementing mentioned before

- inconsistency dangers lurking in the deep - e.g. if an error message
bubbles up from Nova all the way to the user, it might mention flavors,
and if we talk 99% of time about node profiles, then user will not know
what is meant in the error message. I'm a bit worried that we'll keep
hitting things like this in the long run.

- developers still often call them "flavors", because that's what Nova
calls them

"flavor"

+ fits with the rest, does not cause communication or development problems

- not so descriptive (but i agree with you - OpenStack admins will
already be familiar what "flavor" means in the overcloud, and i think
they'd be able to infer what it means in the undercloud)

I'm CCing Jarda as this affects his work quite a lot and i think he'll
have some insight+opinion (he's on PTO now so it might take some time
before he gets to this).

> One other thing, I've looked at my own examples so far, so I didn't
> really think about this but seeing it written down, I've realised the
> way we specify the roles in the Tuskar CLI really bugs me.
>
>       --roles 1=1 \
>       --roles 2=1
>
> I know what this means, but even reading it now I think: One equals
> one? Two equals one? What? I think we should probably change the arg
> name and also refer to roles by name.
>
>       --role-count compute=10
>
> and a shorter option
>
>       -R compute=10

Yeah this is https://bugs.launchpad.net/tuskar/+bug/1281051

I agree with you on the solution (rename long option, support lookup by
names, add a short option).

Thanks

Jirka