[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] BP:Store both IPv6 LLA and GUA address on router interface port

Xuhan Peng pengxuhan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 05:49:53 UTC 2014

As the follow up action of IPv6 sub-team meeting [1], I created a new
blueprint [2] to store both IPv6 LLA and GUA address on router interface
port.

Here is what it's about:

Based on the two modes (ipv6-ra-mode and ipv6-address-mode) design[3], RA
can be sent from both openstack controlled dnsmasq or existing devices.

RA From dnsmasq: gateway ip that dnsmasq binds into should be link local
address (LLA) according to [4]. This means we need to pass the LLA of the
created router internal port (i.e. qr-xxxx) to dnsmasq spawned by openstack
dhcp agent. In the mean while, we need to assign an GUA to the created
router port so that the traffic from external network can be routed back
using the GUA of the router port as the next hop into the internal subnet.
Therefore, we will need some change to the current logic to leverage both
LLA and GUA on router port.

RA from existing device on the same link which is not controlled by
openstack: dnsmasq will not send RA in this case. RA is sending from
subnet's gateway address which should also be LLA according to [4].
Allowing subnet's gateway IP to be LLA is enough in this case. Current code
works when force_gateway_on_subnet = False.

RA from router gateway port (i.e. qg-xxxx):  the LLA of the gateway port
(qg-xxxx) should be set as the gateway of tenant subnet to get the RA from
that. This could be potentially calculated by [5] or by other methods in
the future considering privacy extension. However, this will make the
tenant network gateway port qr-xxxx useless. Therefore, we also need code
change to current router interface attach logic.
If you have any comments on this, please let me know.

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/neutron_ipv6/2014/neutron_ipv6.2014-02-25-14.02.html
[2]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/ipv6-lla-gua-router-interface