[openstack-dev] [nova] Future of the Nova API

Thomas Duesing thomas.duesing at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Feb 27 05:15:24 UTC 2014

Howdy!  I’m a Product Manager for Cloud Servers at Rackspace, and wanted to add a bit to what Behrens is saying.

At Rackspace, we’ve experienced something like this (if you squint and look at it sideways) in the operation of our non-OpenStack cloud (“first gen Cloud Servers”) alongside our OpenStack cloud (“next gen Cloud Servers”).  We introduced first gen Cloud Servers in 2008 and next gen in August of 2012, and we have yet to migrate off of our first gen platform.  When all is said and done, first gen and next gen Cloud Servers will probably coexist for three years.  And really, the timeline on this migration is driven by boring finance-y reasons like datacenter efficiency and operational costs - if we didn’t have that stuff to push us along, who knows how long first gen would be around.

Another thing we learned from our next gen launch is that most customers won’t self-migrate to a new and improved platform unless they see a whole bunch of real value.  Migrations are hard.  That is to say, Nova’s v3 API will have to provide tangible benefits to our customers before we implement it, much less migrate away from v2.  Full transparency: in talking with our customers, we’re not hearing them express problems that v3 solves.  (That’s not to say I don’t totally see where the v3 project is coming from and appreciate all the hard work that’s gone into it - I really do.)

Additionally, and this is has been touched on throughout this thread, we’ve got a lot of touch points internally and upstream before we would consider deprecating the v2 API: knowledge center articles, API documentation, SDKs (we officially contribute to/maintain at least seven), CLI clients, two mobile apps, mycloud.rackspace.com, my.rackspace.com, Heat, devops tools like knife-rackspace and vagrant-rackspace, our entire support floor, operations teams, etc.

I hope that helps shed a bit of light on how we’re thinking about this in the public cloud at Rackspace.

	-Thomas Duesing