[openstack-dev] [nova] [glance] [heat] bug 1203680 - fix requires doc

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 20:28:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Mike Spreitzer <mspreitz at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the further updates.  I have just one question about those.
>  One way to do both unit testing and system (integration) testing is to:
> git clone your favorite project to make a working local repo somewhere on
> your testing machine, edit and commit there, then use DevStack to create a
> running system in /opt/stack using your modified project in place of the
> copy at git.openstack.org.

Yes, that is similar to what Sean mentioned, the difference being that his
repos are actually in VirtualBox Shared Folders so the Linux VM has access
to them. He works on them natively on his laptop so the VM doesn't need his
desktop toolset installed.

>  I think the most direct approach would be to generalize the title of
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Gerrit_Workflow#Unit_Tests_Only and
> generalize the introductory remark to include a reference to
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Testing#Indirect_Approach .  Does this
> make sense to you?

Sure.  My edits were prompted by the loss of some information useful to
making a choice between the two and tweaking the phrasing and sections.

There are a lot of ways to do this, enumerating them is beyond the scope of
that doc IMHO.  I think having the basic components/requirements available
should be enough, but then I also have my workflow figured out so i
probably am still missing something.

> As far as my experience goes, the fix to 1203680 would also cover 1203723:
> the only thing I find lacking for nova unit testing in Ubuntu is
> libmysqlclient-dev, which is among the testing requirements of glance (see
> DevStack's files/apts/glance).
>
> As far as I can tell, Sean Dague is saying the fix to 1203680 is wrong
> because it binds unit testing to DevStack and he thinks unit testing should
> be independent of DevStack.

Let me summarize: "Unit testing is not a default requirement for DevStack.
 If you want it, we have #testonly tags in the system packaging prereq
files that will be installed when INSTALL_TESTONLY_PACKAGES=True."

Following that, missing system package requirements that affect only unit
testing can be added with the #testonly tag.  It is good form to attempt to
verify those added on both Ubuntu and Fedora, even better form to get RHEL
and SuSE.

> Interestingly, installing DevStack with INSTALL_TESTONLY_PACKAGES set to
> True will have a global side-effect and so will provide the unit testing
> requirements even if the indirect procedure (
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Testing#Indirect_Approach) that Sean
> advocates is used.  In this way the only tie between unit testing and
> DevStack is that they be done on the same machine.  Maybe this is the way
> to go?

That is exactly what that variable is for.  There are times we don't want
those packages installed and it is MUCH easier to add them than to remove
them.

dt

--

Dean Troyer