[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Enterprise Ready Features

Brandon Logan brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Feb 26 18:46:02 UTC 2014

TL;DR: Are enterprise needed features (HA, scalability, resource management, etc) on this project's roadmap.  If so, how much of a priority is it?

I've been doing some research on Neutron LBaaS to determine the viability and what needs to be done to allow for it to become an enterprise ready solution.  Since I am fairly new to this project please forgive me, and also correct me, if my understanding of some of these things is false.  I've already spoken to Eugene about some of this, but I think it would be nice to get everyone's opinion.  And since the object model discussions are going on right now I believe this to be a good time to bring it up.

As of its current incarnation Neutron LBaaS does not seem to be HA, scalable, and doesn't isolate resources for each load balancer.  I know there is a blueprint for HA for the agent (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/lbaas-ha-agent) and HA for HaProxy (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/lbaas-ha-haproxy).  That is only for HaProxy, though, and sounds like it has to be implemented at the driver level.  Is that the intended direction for implementing these goals, to implement them at the driver level?  I can definitely see why that is the way to do it because some drivers may already implement these features, while others don't.  It would be nice if there was a way to give those features to drivers that do not have it out of the box.

Basically, I'd like this project to have these enterprise level features to that it can be adopted in an enterprise cloud.  It will require a lot of work to achieve these goals, and I believe it should be something that is a goal.