[openstack-dev] Hacking and PEP 257: Extra blank line at end of multi-line docstring

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 17:47:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM, David Ripton <dripton at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/26/2014 11:40 AM, Joe Gordon wrote:
>
>> This is missing the point about manually enforcing style. If you pass
>> the 'pep8' job there is no need to change any style.
>

> In a perfect world, yes.

While there are exceptions to this,  this just sounds like being extra
nit-picky.  The important aspect here is the mindset, if we don't gate
on style rule x, then we shouldn't waste valuable human review time
and patch revisions on trying to manually enforce it (And yes there
are exceptions to this).

> In the real world, there are several things in PEP8 or our project
> guidelines that the tools don't enforce perfectly.  I think it's fine for
> human reviewers to point such things out.  (And then submit a patch to
> hacking to avoid the need to do so in the future.)

To clarify, we don't rely on long term human enforcement for something
that a computer can do.