[openstack-dev] [neutron]Can somebody describe the all the rolls about networks' admin_state_up

Nir Yechiel nyechiel at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 16:58:16 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> A thread [1] was also initiated on the ML by Syvlain but no answers/comment
> for the moment.
>
> [1] http://openstack.markmail.org/thread/qy6ikldtq2o4imzl
>
> Édouard.

IMHO admin_state_up = false should bring the network down and the traffic needs to be stopped. This is of course a risky operation, so there should be some clear warning describing the action and asking the user to confirm that.

With regards to the implementation of this, I think that there is a difference between the network admin_state and the individual ports admin_state; setting the network admin_state to false should not change the port's state to false. Instead, I am in favor of the second solution [1] described by Sylvain in the ML. I also included this in the bug.

/Nir

[1] do not change the admin_state_up value of ports and introduce a new field in the get_device_details rpc call in order to indicate that the admin_state_up of network is down and then set the port as dead