[openstack-dev] [Heat]Heat use as a standalone component for Cloud Managment over multi IAAS

Charles Walker charles.walker.37 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 13:47:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am trying to deploy the proprietary application made in my company on the
cloud. The pre requisite for this is to have a IAAS which can be either a
public cloud or private cloud (openstack is an option for a private IAAS).

The first prototype I made was based on a homemade python orchestrator and
apache libCloud to interact with IAAS (AWS and Rackspace and GCE).

The orchestrator part is a python code reading a template file which
contains the info needed to deploy my application. This template file
indicates the number of VM and the scripts associated to each VM type to
install it.

Now I was trying to have a look on existing open source tool to do the
orchestration part. I find JUJU (https://juju.ubuntu.com/) or HEAT (
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat).

I am investigating deeper HEAT and also had a look on
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/DSL which mentioned:

*"Cloud Service Provider* - A service entity offering hosted cloud services
on OpenStack or another cloud technology. Also known as a Vendor."

I think HEAT as its actual version will not match my requirement but I have
the feeling that it is going to evolve and could cover my needs.

I would like to know if it would be possible to use HEAT as a standalone
component in the future (without Nova and other Ostack modules)? The goal
would be to deploy an application from a template file on multiple cloud
service (like AWS, GCE).

Any feedback from people working on HEAT could help me.

Thanks, Charles.