[openstack-dev] [nova] Future of the Nova API

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Tue Feb 25 22:02:13 UTC 2014

> +1, seems would could explore for another cycle just to find out that
> backporting everything to V2 isn't going to be what we want, and now
> we've just wasted more time.

> If we say it's just deprecated and frozen against new features, then
> it's maintenance is just limited to bug fixes right?

No, any time we make a change to how the api communicates with compute,
conductor, or the scheduler, both copies of the API code have to be
changed. If we never get rid of v2 (and I don't think we have a good
reason to right now) then we're doing that *forever*. I do not want to
sign up for that.

I'm really curious what deployers like RAX, HP Cloud, etc think about
freezing V2 to features and having to deploying V3 to get them. Does RAX
expose V3 right now? Also curious if RAX/HP/etc see the V3 value
statement when compared to what it will mean for their users.

--Dan