[openstack-dev] [nova] Future of the Nova API

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Tue Feb 25 14:35:49 UTC 2014

> I think we need to find an alternative way to support the new and old
> formats, like Accepts Headers, and retro-fitting a version to
> extensions so we can easily advertise new attributes, to those parsers
> that will break when they encounter those kinds of things.

Agreed.

> Now I am tempted to say we morph the V3 code to also produce the V2
> for clients to move (like don't change URLs unless we really have to).
> I know the risk for screwing that up is enormous, but maybe that makes
> the most sense?

It seems far easier to port the architectural awesomeness of v3 to v2 in
terms of code organization (which can be done without altering the
format), and then start extending v2 to support new formats that we
want. Trying to take a thing with a thousand small changes and add
support to optionally not send those small changes seems harder to me
than adding the important ones into v2. It will also help us revisit
what changes we want to make, and hopefully we would reconsider taking
on the versioning pain of a bunch of CamelCase changes :)

--Dan