[openstack-dev] [Infra] openstack_citest MySQL user privileges to create databases on CI nodes

Roman Podoliaka rpodolyaka at mirantis.com
Tue Feb 25 10:33:07 UTC 2014

Hi all,

[1] made it possible for openstack_citest MySQL user to create new
databases in tests on demand (which is very useful for parallel
running of tests on MySQL and PostgreSQL, thank you, guys!).

Unfortunately, openstack_citest user can only create tables in the
created databases, but not to perform SELECT/UPDATE/INSERT queries.
Please see the bug [2] filed by Joshua Harlow.

In PostgreSQL the user who creates a database, becomes the owner of
the database (and can do everything within this database), and in
MySQL we have to GRANT those privileges explicitly. But
openstack_citest doesn't have the permission to do GRANT (even on its
own databases).

I think, we could overcome this issue by doing something like this
while provisioning a node:
GRANT ALL on `some_predefined_prefix_goes_here\_%`.* to
'openstack_citest'@'localhost';

and then create databases giving them names starting with the prefix value.

Is it an acceptable solution? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Roman

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/69519/
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1284320