[openstack-dev] Incubation Request: Murano

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Feb 25 10:08:49 UTC 2014

Georgy Okrokvertskhov wrote:
> [...]
> As you can see this is complicated topic with a number of possible
> solutions. What Murano team is seeking to achieve is to get feedback of
> community and TC on the most appropriate way to structure the governance
> model for the project.

And that should make for an interesting discussion. Like you say it's a
complicated topic, and we need a coherent and integrated solution in the
end. I think there are two unique challenges here.

The first is that Murano looks more like a complete solution (rather
than an infrastructure piece), which makes it span features that we
currently find in separate programs (user-facing catalog/discovery,
workload lifecycle management). My point in my earlier email is that we
could maybe bring that new functionality to OpenStack as a whole without
necessarily introducing a new component, by breaking those features into
the existing projects. Because in the end, OpenStack is not a collection
of overlapping products, it's a set of complementary components.

The second challenge is that we only started to explore the space of
workload lifecycle management, with what looks like slightly overlapping
solutions (Heat, Murano, Solum, and the openstack-compatible PaaS
options out there), and it might be difficult, or too early, to pick a
winning complementary set.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)