[openstack-dev] [nova] Future of the Nova API

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Feb 24 22:32:22 UTC 2014

On 02/24/2014 04:01 PM, Morgan Fainberg wrote:

> TL;DR, “don’t break the contract”. If we are seriously making
> incompatible changes (and we will be regardless of the direction) the
> only reasonable option is a new major version.

Agreed.  I don't think we can possibly consider making
backwards-incompatible changes without changing the version number.

We could stay with V2 and make as many backwards-compatible changes as
possible using a minor version. This could include things like adding
support for unified terminology as long as we *also* continue to support
the old terminology.  The downside of this is that the code gets messy.

On the other hand, if we need to make backwards incompatible changes
then we need to bump the version number.

Chris