[openstack-dev] [Murano] Object-oriented approach for defining Murano Applications

Georgy Okrokvertskhov gokrokvertskhov at mirantis.com
Mon Feb 24 22:20:33 UTC 2014

Hi Keith,

Thank you for bringing up this question. We think that it could be done
inside Heat. This is a part of our future roadmap to bring more stuff to
Heat and pass all actual work to the heat engine. However it will require a
collaboration between Heat and Murano teams, so that is why we want to have
incubated status, to start better integration with other projects being a
part of OpenStack community. I will understand Heat team when they refuse
to change Heat templates to satisfy the requirements of the project which
does not officially belong to OpenStack. With incubation status it will be
much easier.
As for the actual work, backups and snapshots are processes. It will be
hard to express them in a good way in current HOT template. We see that we
will use Mistral resources defined in Heat which will trig the events for
backup and backup workflow associated with the application can be defined
outside of Heat. I don't think that Heat team will include workflow
definitions as a part of template format, while they can allow us to use
resources which reference such workflows stored in a catalog. It can be an
extension for HOT Software config for example, but we need to validate this
approach with the heat team.

The idea of Heat template generation library\engine is exactly what we have
implemented. Murano engine uses its own application definition to generate
valid Heat templates from snippets. As there is no preliminary knowledge of
actual snippet content, Murano package definition language allows
application writer to specify application requirements, application
constraints, data transformation rules and assertions to make a heat
template generation process predictable and manageable. I think this is an
essential part of Catalog as it tightly coupled with the way how
applications and its resources are defined.

Thanks
Georgy

Georgy Okrokvertskhov
Architect,