[openstack-dev] bug 1203680 - fix requires doc

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Feb 24 20:10:54 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-21 17:09, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 02/21/2014 05:28 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On 2014-02-21 13:01, Mike Spreitzer wrote:
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1203680 is literally about
>>> Glance
>>> but Nova has the same problem.  There is a fix released, but just
>>> merging
>>> that fix accomplishes nothing --- we need people who run DevStack to
>>> set the
>>> new variable (INSTALL_TESTONLY_PACKAGES).  This is something that
>>> needs to
>>> be documented (in http://devstack.org/configuration.html and all the
>>> places
>>> that tell people how to do unit testing, for examples), so that
>>> people know
>>> to do it, right?
>>>

>>> IMHO, that should be enabled by default.  Every developer using
>>> devstack is
>>> going to want to run unit tests at some point (or should anyway...),
>>> and if
>>> the gate doesn't want the extra install time for something like
>>> tempest that
>>> probably doesn't need these packages, then it's much simpler to
>>> disable it
>>> in that one config instead of every separate config used by every
>>> developer.
>>>
>>> -Ben
>>>

>> I would be wary of relying on devstack to configure your unittest
>> environments. Just like it takes over the node you run it on, devstack
>> takes full ownership of the repos it clones and will do potentially
>> lossy things like `git reset --hard` when you don't expect it to. +1
>> to documenting the requirements for unittesting, not sure I would
>> include devstack in that documentation.
>
> Agreed, I never run unit tests in the devstack tree. I run them on my
> laptop or other non dedicated computers. That's why we do unit tests in
> virtual envs, they don't need a full environment.
>
> Also many of the unit tests can't be run when openstack services are
> actually running, because they try to bind to ports that openstack
> services use.
>
> It's one of the reasons I've never considered that path a priority in
> devstack.
>
> 	-Sean

What is the point of devstack if we can't use it for development?  Are
we really telling people that they shouldn't be altering the code in
/opt/stack because it's owned by devstack, and devstack reserves the
right to blow it away any time it feels the urge?  And if that's not
what we're saying, aren't they going to want to run unit tests before
they push their changes from /opt/stack?  I don't think it's reasonable
to tell them that they have to copy their code to another system to run
unit tests on it.

-Ben