[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Dealing with passwords in Tuskar-API

Ladislav Smola lsmola at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 08:39:04 UTC 2014

On 02/23/2014 01:16 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Imre Farkas's message of 2014-02-20 15:24:17 +0000:

>>> What do you mean by redeploy?
>>>
>>> 1. Deploy a brand new overcloud, overwriting the old one
>>> 2. Updating the services in the existing overcloud (i.e. image updates)
>>> 3. Adding new machines to the existing overcloud
>>> 4. Autoscaling
>>> 5. Something else
>>> 6. All of the above
>>>
>>> I'd guess each of these have different password workflow requirements.
>> I am not sure if all these use cases have different password
>> requirement. If you check devtest, no matter whether you are creating or
>> just updating your overcloud, all the parameters have to be provided for
>> the heat template:
>> https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-incubator/blob/master/scripts/devtest_overcloud.sh#L125
>>
>> I would rather not require the user to enter 5/10/15 different passwords
>> every time Tuskar updates the stack. I think it's much better to
>> autogenerate the passwords for the first time, provide an option to
>> override them, then save and encrypt them in Tuskar. So +1 for designing
>> a proper system for storing the passwords.
> Tuskar does not need to reinvent this.
>
> Use OS::Heat::RandomString in the templates.
>
> If any of them need to be exposed to the user, use an output on the
> template.
>
> If they need to be regenerated, you can pass a "salt" parameter.

Do we actually need to expose to the user something else than AdminPassword?

We are using tripleo-heat-templates currently, so we will need to make
the change
there.