[openstack-dev] [python-openstacksdk] Sessions and keystoneclient

Jamie Lennox jamielennox at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 06:37:54 UTC 2014

I promised Jesse after the openstack-sdk meeting that I would do a write
up of the direction of keystoneclient's auth plugins and Sessions. Have
a look here:

http://www.jamielennox.net/blog/2014/02/24/client-session-objects/

I know that this is different to the way Dean was looking at using them
in openstackclient however I think it works as a means of standardizing
clients on a method that doesn't have them in charge of anything to do
with authentication or service discovery.

Ideally from my point of view openstack-sdk would provide an abstraction
layers for the various client objects. Eg, how do we handle a v2 and v3
concept of a user, or an instance or anything else across clients.

The base object would maintain a single session object and create a
number of clients which handle version independent interactions by
redirecting the calls to the appropriate version dependent client (all
connected to the one session object and doing version discovery through
it).

I'm still of the impression that the version dependent clients can live
in the python-*client repositories but we can continue that discussion
later.

Jamie