[openstack-dev] [nova][libvirt] Is there anything blocking the libvirt driver from implementing the host_maintenance_mode API?

Bruce Montague Bruce_Montague at symantec.com
Sat Feb 22 21:22:55 UTC 2014

On Fri Feb 21 21:14:56 UTC 2014 Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 2/19/2014 4:05 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>>>
>>> The os-hosts OS API extension [1] showed up before I was working on the
>>> project and I see that only the VMware and XenAPI drivers implement it,
>>> but was wondering why the libvirt driver doesn't - either no one wants
>>> it, or there is some technical reason behind not implementing it for
>>> that driver?
>>>

> If  I remember correctly maintenance mode is a special thing in Xen.

Maintenance mode is pretty heavily used with VMware vCenter. When an environment supports "universal" live migration of all VMs, it makes sense to migrate all VMs running on a physical machine off of that machine before bringing it down for maintenance, such as upgrading the hardware. Provides some classes of end-users with a more 24x7x365 experience.

>>> [1]
>>>
>>> http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/2/content/PUT_os-hosts-v2_updateHost_v2__tenant_id__os-hosts__host_name__ext-os-hosts.html
>>>

>> By the way, am I missing something when I think that this extension is
>> already covered if you're:
>>
>> 1. Looking to get the node out of the scheduling loop, you can just disable
>> it with os-services/disable?
>>
>> 2. Looking to evacuate instances off a failed host (or one that's in
>> "maintenance mode"), just use the evacuate server action.
>
> I don't think your missing anything.
>

>> --
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt Riedemann