[openstack-dev] Incubation Request: Murano

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Fri Feb 21 23:57:57 UTC 2014

Hi Georgy,

Thanks for all your efforts putting this together.

In the incubation request, one of the proposals is to include Murano under
an expanded scope of the Images program, renaming it the Catalog program.
I've been extremely pleased with the help of you and your colleagues in
helping to define the broader role for Glance as a more general artifact
repository. However, the proposal to bring all of Murano under the expanded
Images program strains my current understanding of how Images needs to
expand in scope.

Prior to this email, I was imagining that we would expand the Images
program to go beyond storing just block device images, and into more
structured items like whole Nova instance templates, Heat templates, and
Murano packages. In this scheme, Glance would know everything there is to
know about a resource--its type, format, location, size, and relationships
to other resources--but it would not know or offer any links for how a
resource is to be used.

For example, Glance would know the virtual size, the storage format, and
all the data associated with a disk image. But it would not necessarily
know anything about a user's ability to either boot that disk image in Nova
or to populate a Cinder volume with the image data.

I think you make a very good point, however. In an orchestrated view of the
cloud, the most usable approach is to have links directly from a resource
to the actions you can perform with the resource. In pseudocode,
image.boot() rather than nova.boot(image). In this more expansive view of
the Catalog, I think it would make sense to include Murano entirely as part
of the Catalog program.

However, this change seems to me to imply a significant architectural shift
for OpenStack in general, and I'm just not quite comfortable endorsing it.
I'm very eager to hear other opinions about this question--perhaps I am
simply not understanding the advantages.

In any case, I hope these notes help to frame the question of where Murano
can best fit.

Thanks again,
markwash