[openstack-dev] [nova] opportunistic and green cloud

Abmar Barros abmargb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 20:19:05 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm currently taking part of a project at the Federal University of Campina
Grande called fogbow, which aims on providing an energy efficient scheduler
and an opportunistic compute node (which deactivates the service if the
host isn't idle) on top of openstack.

Regarding the opportunistic aspect of the project, we're planning on using
powernap (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/powernap.8.html)
to tell if the host is idle or not.

Finally, my question is: what do you guys think would be the best way for a
powernap action script to interact with nova-compute in order to stop all
running instances and disable the host?

Would killing and respawning the nova-compute be an elegant way of doing
that in your opinion? Or do RPC calls sound better?

Thanks in advance

--
Abmar Barros
MSc in Computer Science from the Federal University of Campina Grande -