[openstack-dev] [Heat][docs] Need more sample HOT templates for users

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 17:23:05 UTC 2014

On 14/02/14 03:21, Qiming Teng wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 08:24:09AM +0100, Thomas Spatzier wrote:
>
> Thanks, Thomas.
>
> The first link actually provides a nice inventory of all Resources and
> their properties, attributes, etc.  I didn't look into this because I
> was thinking of the word 'developer' differently.  This pointer is
> useful for template developers in the sense that they don't have to
> check the source code to know a resource type.

Yeah, we are overloading the term 'developer' here, since that section
contains both information that is only useful to developers working on
Heat itself, and information useful to users developing templates.

I'm not sure if this is forced because of an OpenStack-wide assumption
that there is only API documentation and developer documentation?

We ought to split these up and make the difference clear if we can.

> Maybe more elaborated explanation of resource usage is some work that
> can be left to book or manual authors.

Your original suggestion was a good one - we actually already include
the docstrings from resource plugin classes when we generate the
template documentation.[1] So we just have to write docstrings for all
the resource types...

cheers,
Zane.

[1]