[openstack-dev] supported dependency versioning and testing

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 16:24:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:31:06AM -0800, Joe Gordon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I discussion recently came up inside of nova about what it means
> supported version for a dependency means.  in libvirt we gate on the
> minimal version that we support but for all python dependencies we
> gate on the highest version that passes our requirements. While we all
> agree that having two different ways of choosing which version to test
> (min and max) is bad, there are good arguments for doing both.
>
> testing most recent version:
>     * We want to make sure we support the latest and greatest
>     * Bug fixes
>     * Quickly discover backwards incompatible changes so we can deal
> with them as they arise instead of in batch
>
> Testing lowest version supported:
>     * Make sure we don't land any code that breaks compatibility with
> the lowest version we say we support
>

> A few questions and ideas on how to move forward.
>     * How do other projects deal with this? This problem isn't unique
> in OpenStack.
>     * What are the issues with making one gate job use the latest
> versions and one use the lowest supported versions?
>     * Given our finite resources what gets us the furthest?

tl;dr -- I've read the further replies in the thread. FWIW, the
suggestion of testing with lowest and higest versions sounds reasonable
to me.

I think I remember the bug you're alluding to here[1] -- I tried to
reproduce it a couple of times in a Fedora 20 environment, but later
moved on (noting relevant details in the bug) to other issues as I
realized after initial investigation that the fix exists in a _newer_
version of Libvirt (which the Gate machine needs to be updated to)[2].
Later, Sean Dague pointed on IRC there was another dependent bug[3]
which is preventing to bump up the Libvirt version on Gate.

Putting my Fedora distro user hat on: I try (as humanly as possible) to
keep on top of OpenStack bits with whatever is newest availalbe on
Fedora Rawhide (mostly - RPMs built from upstream git). And often with
its underlying Virtualization components - Libvirt/QEMU RPMs built from
git as well and ensure to test Minimal OpenStack (components I care
about) works without exploding. I'll do whatever I can to be helpful
here to continue to test the higher versions.

  [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1254872 --libvirtError: Timed
  out during operation: cannot acquire state change lock
  [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix
  [3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1228977

--
/kashyap