[openstack-dev] [Murano] Heat resource isolation withing single stack

Stan Lagun slagun at mirantis.com
Fri Feb 21 14:37:27 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

While looking through Heat templates generation code in Murano I've
realized it has a major design flaw: there is no isolation between Heat
resources generated by different apps.

Every app manifest can access and modify its environment stack in any way.
For example it can delete instances and other resources belonging to other
applications. This may be not so bad for Murano 0.4 but it becomes critical
for AppCatalog (0.5) as there is no trust relations between applications
and it may be unacceptable that untrusted application can gain complete
write access over the whole stack.

There is also a problem of name collisions - resources generated by
different applications may have the same names. This is especially probable
between resources generated by different instances of the same app. This
also affects Parameters/Output of Heat templates as each application
instance must generate unique names for them (and do not forget them later
as they are needed to read output results).

I think we need at least to know how we going to solve it before 0.5

Here is possible directions i can think of:

1. Use nested Heat stacks. I'm not sure it solves naming collisions and
that nested stacks can have their own Output

2. Control all stack template modifications and track which resource was
created by which app. Give applications read-only access to resources they
don't own

3. Auto-generate resource names. Auto-add prefixes/suffixes to
resource/output etc names indicating owning app instance ID and remove them
upon read access from workflow so that generated names would be invisible
to workflow. That would also mean all VMs  would have generated names

Hope to see better ideas and suggestions in this thread

--
Sincerely yours
Stanislav (Stan) Lagun
slagun at mirantis.com